Vladimir Region, a subject of the Russian Federation, is included into the Central Federal District. It shares borders with Moscow, Yaroslavl, Ivanovo, Ryazan and Nizhny Novgorod regions.
The region’s area is equal to 29 000 km², population is 1 542.9 thousand residents.
The regional center is Vladimir (336.1 thousand residents) which is 170 km away from Moscow.
The region as an administrative division was established on August 14, 1944 in the territories of former Vladimir Governorate of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic which had existed until January 14, 1929.
Local climate is moderate continental. On average, the cold period with temperatures below 0°C normally lasts 137 days. Average annual temperature is +5 °C (standard deviation is 12 °C), average January temperature is −13 °C and average July temperature is +19 °C.
Vladimir area is one of the oldest historic and artistic centers of Russian lands. For long, territories comprising Vladimir Region have represented the heart of Vladimir-Suzdal princedom which turned into Vladimir Governorate in the late 18th century.
The Great Vladimir Princedom (1157 — 1362) was formed under the influence of the capital transfer when Grand Prince Andrey Bogolubsky removed the capital of Rostov-Suzdal Princedom to Vladimir on the Klyazma. There are a number of opinions related to the date of the town’s foundation. According to one of the versions, it was founded by prince Vladimir Svyatoslavovich in the year 990, another version claims that the town was founded in 1108 by Prince Vladimir Monomakh. The town has reached its prime during the reign of Andrey Bogolubsky and his successors.
The culture of the Great Vladimir Princedom is fairly remarkable in the history of north-eastern Russia. Vladimir architectural school has strongly influenced the stone architecture of Moscow and other Russian towns. The white stone Dormition and Dmitrievsky Cathedrals, Golden Gate and the Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin at the Nerl are one of the most distinguished examples of Vladimir and Suzdal architecture of the 12-13th centuries.
The region is famous for well-preserved old Russian towns — Alexandrov, Vladimir, Gorokhovets, Kideksha, Murom, Yuriev Polsky and Gus-Khrustalny. The above towns feature architectural, historic, cultural sights and religious memorials as well as a Christian pilgrimage destination that is Suzdal (Alexandrovsky, Intercession, Spaso-Efimiev and Deposition of the Robe Monasteries) and the Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin’s Veil, a unique phenomenon in architecture and landscape design situated in Bogolubovo. Most of the famous Golden Ring tourist routes go through Vladimir Region of Russia. Another place familiar to tourists is Vladimirsky Central, a historic prison.
The largest state-protected environmental facility is Meschyora National Park, a popular leisure destination featuring hiking, canoes, ski and bike tours, hunting, fishing and gathering forest grants. No less popular among canoe-lovers are the rivers in the north-west of the region — the Kirzhach, the Peksha and the Koloksha. Some tourists are attracted by distant and virgin lakes of Kshara Park, others choose the developed infrastructure sports shipping industry at the Oka and the Klyazma.
Sport facilities of the area include a snowboard center in Snovitsy, Suzdal district; Puzhalova Gora mountaineering complex at Gorokhovets, parachuting at the aerodromes of Kirzhach, Alexandrov and Semyazino; paintball and carting facilities, motorcycling in Kovrov and diving in the deep lakes of Balakhninskaya bottomland. Football clubs Torpedo-Vladimir and Locomotive (Murom). Torpedo Stadium at Vladimir holds 19 000 sport fans.
For more detailed information on the Region, please refer to Internet resources of governmental authorities of the constituent entity of the Russian Federation.